Pre-Draft #2 (Using Library Databases: 15 min)
- After library session, discuss subject guide and different databases with class, determine which are most relevant for this assignment and for the class generally.
- Select one database relevant for this assignment.
- Discuss what search terms might be best for finding relevant articles.
- Try several different searches, with several different filters.
- For best search, examine article titles/abstracts and try to figure out which might be most useful for the paper.
- Skim through relevant results, discuss which look the most useful.
- Attempt to find differing perspectives among relevant results
Essay 3: In this assignment, you will select one issue over which there has been some recent territorial conflict between the discursive authorities of science and religion: your choices might include (but are not limited to) the ethics of undertaking research into cloning or stem cells, the morality of providing access to abortions, or the logic of teaching of evolution vs. creation. Then, pretend you have been hired by a general-interest magazine to present an essay to its readers about that subject. In your essay, argue how we ought to mix religious and scientific discourse in our public discussions of that issue.