Pre-Draft #1 (Interpreting Keyterms, 30 min)
- At home, listen to the songs “Jesus Walks,” “From a Distance,” and “God” (linked on blog).
- For each song, write a brief description of what you think the lyrics mean when they invoke the term “God.”
- In class, free-write which song’s engagement with “God” resonates with you the most and why.
- Discuss student responses as a class.
- Identify key passages in the songs relevant to steps 3/4.
- Relate song lyrics’ invocation of God to those identified by Warren, Armstrong, and Epstein.
- Identify key passages in chapters by above writers relevant to step 6.
Download: Writing Religion Pre-Draft- Interpreting Keyterms (PDF)